By Jenné Claiborne of Sweet Potato Soul
Sweet Potatoes are healthy, filling, delicious, and incredibly versatile! I find ways to use them all year round, and for every single meal of the day (dessert and snack included).
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 40 mins | Total time: 55 mins
I will never get tired of these burgers! Serve them with or without bread, and top with greens and healthy fat like avocado or tahini sauce. They also freeze really well, and even make a great snack, or crumbles for a salad!
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 cup packed cilantro or parsley (or half and half)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes (1 ½ cup), steamed or baked, peeled and mashed
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- In a food processor pulse and chop the red bell pepper and red onion.
- Pour the chopped veggies into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the chickpeas and cilantro/parsley into the food processor and blend until the chickpeas are a thick mealy texture.
- Pour into the mixing bowl with peppers and onions.
- Place the garlic, almonds, and spices into the food processor and blend until the almonds are a crumbly texture.
- Pour into the mixing bowl.
- Mash the sweet potato with a fork, or place it in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour it over the contents of the mixing bowl followed by the oats, and stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Season to taste with more sea salt and spice.
- Place the burger batter in the refrigerator to firm up for an hour or longer.
- Preheat oven to 375°, and line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop about ¾ cup of the batter into your hands and form into a tight patty.
- Place the patty onto the baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining batter. Make sure that the patties are not too close to each other on the baking sheet (2 inches separating is good).
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- After removing them from the oven, allow the patties to cool for at least 15 minutes before trying to remove them with a spatula or your hands.
I’m a Georgia Peach living in NYC, with an insatiable love of sweet potatoes, travel, animals, and chocolate. Lately I would add matcha to that list <3
On Sweet Potato Soul you’ll discover hundreds of delicious and easy-to-make vegan recipes. I also share lots of cooking videos, and healthy eating tips. You’re going to want to subscribe to my YouTube channel too!
In addition to running this vegan food blog, I run a culinary and wellness company in NYC called The Nourishing Vegan. I’m a vegan personal chef, a master health coach, and a passionate cooking instructor. I’ve also created the 21-Day Vegan Blueprint online program, and written a digital cookbook called 5-Ingredient Vegan.