Fall is here and so is an abundance of hearty dishes to keep us warm and satiated. This plant-based, comforting soup can be enjoyed alone, paired as a side dish, or even as a base for a variety of other recipes. Squash is packed with many vitamins and minerals that our body needs for optimal functioning, such as vitamins A, C and E, calcium, magnesium and more.
What You’ll Need:
2 lbs. diced organic butternut squash
2 medium organic gala apples, each chopped in half
1 large white onion, quartered
1 tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
1 cup organic vegetable broth
Optional ¼ cup of coconut or almond milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place butternut squash, apples and onion onto a large baking sheet. Add tbsp. olive oil salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Roast in oven for approx. 30 min. until squash browns and softens (or until desired doneness is achieved)
4. Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes to cool.
5. Using a food processor or an immersion blender, puree ½ of the squash/apple/onion mixture into container with about ¼ cup of broth and optional milk. (Add more or less liquids depending on desired consistency. We went for a thicker consistency). Place 1st half of puree into large pot. Repeat with 2nd half of puree.
6. Heat soup on medium until heated through and through. Additional broth and or another pinch of salt and pepper can be added if necessary.