Who doesn’t love pizza? We often daydream about it, salivate when watching ads on TV, and wish we could eat it every day. A healthy lifestyle means making smart choices daily, but allowing yourself to enjoy what you love once in a while.
But you may not want to eat traditional pizza as much or at all once you try this cauliflower crust pizza! It is a very low calorie alternative and it can satisfy your cravings for pizza. The entire crust is about 300 calories!
What you’ll need:
4 cups cauliflower, riced (1 head)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan-romano cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. of salt
Pinch of pepper
*If you want to try out a smaller version of this recipe, cut the entire recipe in half, so you can try it first!
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Take your whole head of cauliflower and cut into florets. Place the florets in a food processor (do half of the cauliflower at a time) and begin to pulse. It won’t take long to get the desired rice-like texture, so don’t over-process.
3. Remove cauliflower and steam for a few minutes or place in a microwave safe bowl and cook for about 5 minutes. Place on a clean, thin dishtowel and let cool.
Squeeze the liquid out of cauliflower as much as you can. We have found this to help achieve a better crust that is less moist. But if you want it soft, don’t squeeze.
4. Combine all ingredients together and mix well. Pour onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or round pizza pan and form into a crust. You can raise the edges a little bit for a thicker crust or keep the whole thing thin, about 1/4 inch or so.
5. Bake crust for about 15-20 minutes or until the crust is cooked through and firm to the touch (look for a golden brown color.) Cook times may vary but keep an eye out!
6. Remove from oven, top with favorite toppings and place back in oven until just melted (no more than 10 minutes)
In above photo: Half pizza topped with turkey pepperoni and low fat mozzarella. Other half topped with grilled chicken breast, cut into pieces, and onions, green peppers, mushrooms and low fat mozzarella.
Give it a try and let us know how it comes out!