Creamy Avocado Egg Salad
(adapted from Skinnytaste)
This healthier twist to traditional egg salad scores big points with us! This protein and fiber packed recipe incorporates creamy avocado and just a small amount of mayo. Perfect for lunch or a light dinner that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you full.
What you’ll need:
• 4 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
• 4 hard boiled egg whites, chopped (remove the yolks and discard)
• 1 medium avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (soft, ripe avocado works best)
• 1 tbsp. light mayonnaise (we like Kraft mayo with olive oil)
• 1 tbsp. fat free plain yogurt (we prefer Greek)
• 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (OR finely chopped Kosher dill pickle spear)
• 1/2 tbsp. finely chopped chives
• 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
• Pinch of freshly ground pepper
Combine the egg yolks with the avocado, light mayo, yogurt, chives, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork. Combine with egg whites and adjust salt as needed.
*Note – the best way to remove the meat of your avocado is to cut in half around the pit (feels like a ball) then gently pull apart. Then take a spoon and scoop the avocado out from around the edges of the skin.
Enjoy plain, atop one half of a whole-grain sandwich thin (shown on left) or on a whole-grain wrap, such as a Flatout whole-wheat wrap (shown on right). It also tastes great on a bed of tomatoes!
Send us a photo on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook of your avocado egg salad!