Let’s start with water and its importance to fat loss……notice I say “Fat Loss” because I view it differently than “weight loss”. Eliminate carbohydrates, fast, go on a juice diet, detox, cleanse or drink some sort of weight loss shake and inevitably you will lose weight. However, you generally will gain it back…and if you are super unlucky…plus some!
On average, I would say that prior to my lifestyle change, I was lucky to finish a bottle of water a day. I didn’t think about drinking and I consumed most of my liquids in the form of tea or coffee during the day as I was never a soda drinker.
If you want to lose FAT, here are a few reasons water is so important to your success.
1. Appetite Control – Water is an appetite suppressant which means that drinking enough of it ensures that when you do feel hungry you really need something to eat. Drinking a lot of water helps to keep hunger at bay!
2. Toxins – Water clears toxins and helps fats pass through your system before they can be stored. Water helps any substance your body doesn’t need exit safely and aids in transporting the necessary nutrients throughout your body.
3. Kidney function – The kidneys require water to carry out their duty of processing waste products efficiently. When the kidneys don’t have enough water, the liver comes to aid. Part of the liver’s responsibilities is to take your stored fat and turn it into energy you can use. Therefore, by not drinking enough water you are slowing down the speed at which the liver can do it’s work. Drink more water and let the liver turn your FAT into ENERGY!
FIT TIP-Drink 8 oz or 1 glass of water every hour at work. One 8 hour shift meets the average daily requirement of 8 glasses (64 oz) a day.
4. Hormones – As you start to cut the amount of food you are taking in as most people do when they are trying to lose weight the body senses this lack of calories. From an evolutionary perspective, whenever there was a lack of food there was also a lack of water. By consuming enough water, you tell the body there is “No Emergency” and that it is safe to let go of the fat rather than hoard it.
5. Hydrated Muscles – Muscles that are hydrated are stronger which leads to better workouts, more muscle growth and ultimately increases your metabolism. Muscles burn more calories just by their mere existence!