What you’ll need:
1. One bunch of kale roughly chopped
2. ½ cup of shredded carrots
3. ½ cup of chopped green onions or ¼ quarter cup—it depends on the version, I usually write “to taste” in the notes whoever the person is that’s creating it
4. ¼ cup of raspberries, ¼ cup of blueberries, and ¼ cup of strawberries
5. ¼ cup of roasted almonds – when I say “roasted,” you can do them on the stove top or you can do them in the oven. You’re going to get your pan probably on a light heat and your quarter cup of almonds in the heat. There’s a lot of natural oil in nuts, which you want to release.
Directions for preparing the salad:
Add all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl, but we’re also going to make a quick vinaigrette.
What you’ll need:
1. 2 tbsp. of olive oil *we want the kale to really be coated
2. 2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
3. Salt and pepper to taste
4. Add to salad mixture and toss
5. Place salad mixture in the refrigerator
What the refrigerator is going to do is break the green down a little bit so that it’s consumable and a little bit more enjoyable.
Directions for preparing the chicken:
Chicken breast or thighs — a lot of people have trouble cooking chicken breast. They dry it out. So, what I would suggest is you grab boneless chicken thighs—a very tender, juicier meat. A lot of people stay away from the darker meat, but it’s actually a little bit more flavorful. The chicken helps actually break the kale down a little bit, because kale can be rough and sometimes it needs to be cultivated by something warm or a vinaigrette that’s going to help break it down.
Now let’s go over to our chicken and you just want to mince two or three cloves of garlic. You want about a tablespoon of olive oil to be poured on top of that chicken. Salt, pepper, garlic and then I love thyme. Sometimes it’s hard for people to use dried thyme, but I would suggest using fresh thyme leaves- two branches. So, take the leaves off two branches and right now we’re seasoning our chicken and we’re going to use the thighs. And then, once that’s all seasoned together, we have our salt, our pepper, our minced garlic, our thyme and chili flakes. Chili flakes are also a natural appetite suppressant. So, definitely add in a little chili flakes. And then we’re going to turn our grill on and I’m going to grill it on both sides for about six to seven minutes. Depending on the size that you have—I drop it in the oven for another three to four minutes to make sure you really got it cooked all the way through.
I do keep the skin on, but if you are trying to get away from actually eating the skin, you can take it off and not change the recipe.
Putting it all together:
Take out your kale salad and place it on a dish. Take our chicken, put some nice slices through it, and now we have our grilled chicken kale salad with mixed fruit and roasted almonds.