Take us through a typical day as WilldaBeast?
A typical day for me is waking up to over 50 text messages. Then I usually check in with my production team of about 5 to 7 people. After that, we, myself and my fiancé (Janelle Ginestra), go to the gym for an hour. Then we make our way to the office where our dance studio is located and begin prepping for whatever job we have that week. Whether that’s a commercial, a movie, holding auditions, or if we have a free week, we will invest in ourselves by creating something to grow our platform and portfolio.
After our “office work” is done, we teach dance classes in the evening, and hopefully, at the end of the night, we have time to watch Netflix or go on a date. 🙂
Tell us about some of the people you’ve worked with throughout your career. And, is there anyone you’ve enjoyed working with the most?
I’ve danced for Madonna, Usher, Jason Derulo, The Black Eyed Peas, along with various TV shows, commercials, etc. I’ve also choreographed for Serena Williams, Shakira, JP COOPER, Jordan Fisher, The BET Awards, So You Think You Can Dance, Hennessy and NIKE, but my favorite artist I’ve worked with has been T-Pain because his music was fun/outgoing and he played on how to perform.
As far as choreography goes, I enjoy any job that allows me to think outside the box, as well as people that trust my vision and don’t only want me to make up a basic dance routine.
#buildabeastexperience2017 is sold out for the third year in a row. Tell us more about this event what you’re anticipating this year.
Well, our event has over 1000 people attending daily. It features more than 15 classes stretched over five days, ending with our annual IMMABEAST Company auditions. This year is special though because we have two separate shows one being a concert featuring music artists and another which is solely our end-of-the-year “recital” show.
What I love most about this conference is when I get on stage to teach the class and look around the room, and I see all these people from all walks of life sitting in the same place to celebrate the same thanks, love, diversity, and energy, with no boundaries.
What drives you?
God, my future family, the doubters, the naysayers and the motivation to leave a legacy behind unlike any other creator.
What might someone be surprised to know about you?
People might be surprised to know that, I turn all the negative into a positive. A lot more people doubted me and made fun of me growing up, compared to the ones who supported me. I live with the light, I’m not perfect, I make a lot of mistakes, I also fail a lot but I use all of that to help me build more and become stronger. I’m empowered to make sure other people around the world have someone lifting them like I could’ve used as a young person trying to find my way.
What advice do you have looking to become a professional dancer or choreographer?
Train very hard, train every day, sweat every day, learn something new every day, and then follow your heart.
My advice is to listen with 25% of your soul, the other 75% trust your gut, and do what makes you happy. Only you can know what’s right for you. Yes, there are blueprints to help people get where they are, but everyone’s journey and the story is different.
What legacy do you want to leave behind?
I want to make sure people remember that I was an elevator and that I was ahead of my time. I made people go to a different place and smile and enjoy themselves whether they’re watching my content, listening to me DJ or entering an event that we created.