Traditional whoopie pies are delicious, but generally not healthy. Our protein oatmeal whoopie pies are great for the occasional indulgence without a lot of calories, and fat. Note – it took us two batches to get this right, so take your time with it and make adjustments if you feel necessary!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup ground oats (blend into a flour)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (we used Gold Standard French Vanilla. Blends very well).
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup ground flax (blend into a flour) (use half if you are not used to the strong flavor of flax)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of honey or agave
- ¼ cup Stevia or Splenda
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Approx. 4oz True Whip or House Whip (no hydrogenated oils and uses organic sweeteners)
- ½ scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- Optional juice from ½ lemon
- (Mix ingredients together until smooth)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a hand mixer to blend together liquid ingredients, sweeteners, (egg, applesauce, vanilla, Splenda or Stevia).
- Add ground oats, protein powder, flax, cinnamon and baking soda to liquid mixture, half at a time.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add a heaping tablespoon of mixture onto your cookie sheet. Keep in mind, the protein powder will cause the mixture to expand more than it would without the powder, so leave plenty of room in between each cookie.
- Cook for about 10 minutes OR until the edges of the cookie just start to brown. Keep an eye out, so you don’t overcook. You want your whoopie pies to be soft!
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely. Once cool, fill with 2 tbsp. of the whipped topping mixture and carefully place 2nd cookie on top and enjoy!
Approx. 240 calories, 3g fat, 9g protein per pie